Seven Days Til' Christmas

December 18, 2016

Seven Days 'til Christmas

This was the pantry door in my Grandma and Granddaddy's old house in Richlands.  

To say I'm a sentimental old soul is an understatement. So, at Christmas my tender heart beats with the memories of Christmases past and the people that are attached to those memories. I had a dining room rearrange after the Carolina Moon sale last weekend. The catalyst for the rearrange???  An amazing old 1800s church pew I acquired from Sarah Coffey Designs. So after I moved things around I had room to add in some pieces I had collected and saved, including the little pantry door from my Granddaddy and Grandma's old house in Richlands. 

The moment I saw this church pew I was in love. It reminds me of the old pews in my childhood church, Whaleys Chapel Free Will Baptist Church. I loved singing Christmas hymns the weeks leading up to Christmas. My Grandma couldn't sing a lick but her off key voice was music to my ears.  

I also included the ceramic Christmas trees I've gathered since my junking adventures began. These two were some of the first I found and I knew immediately they would stay with me. I've found better ones over the last couple of years but these were the first and I remember how happy my heart was at the memory of helping my Grandma decorate for Christmas. 

 
This is another piece I acquired from a vendor at one of my shows. Homestead Furniture and Design. The tiny "putz style" church reminds me of my little hometown church and the old fruitcake tin reminds me of a cake my Grandma would make for my Granddaddy. It was called "Icebox Cake".  She would mix up all the ingredients and then pack it into an empty ice cream paper box and put it in the refrigerator. Granddaddy would slice off a piece and share with me. The cake was filled with nuts. It was delicious. I wish I had the recipe. 

So during this Christmas season I hope your heart and home is surrounded with the memories of Christmases past and that you share these memories with your loved ones that didn't have the chance to have them too. 

Merry Christmas!
Love, Regina 

  
The table at Grandma's house was always filled with potatoes, cabbage or collards, skillet cornbread and ham. It was always the same dishes but they tasted so good!

This dresser was in my Grandparent's bedroom. Now it holds baking pans and cake decorating supplies.  

1 comment :

  1. Post your favorite Christmas memories of your Grandparents ��

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs